The academic departments at Lahore Pharmacy College cover all of the core and advanced pharmacy subjects to help and develop future leaders and thinkers. Our dedicated faculty and staff work together to give our students the best learning experience possible.
Here are the leading departments at LPC that offer our students a comprehensive educational experience to prepare them for rewarding professional careers. These departments focus not only teaching theory but also have a hands-on approach to teaching pharmacy.
We believe that combining different approaches early provides more perspective to the students and serves them well throughout their careers. These are our most prominent departments at Lahore Pharmacy College.
- Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Basic Medical Sciences
Pharmacy practice is discipline of pharmacy which involves developing the professional role of pharmacist. It links the health sciences with the chemical sciences and is charged with ensuring the save use of medication. The role of pharmacy profession and pharmacist in uplifting health care system has been well established and acknowledged all over the world. The pharmacy profession is well known as a “LIFE SAVING PROFESSION”. The major emphasis of the World Health Organization (WHO) in developing countries to provide prompt and economical means for caring human health. This noble task cannot achieve without Pharmacists because they are only ones who know about drug and related substance.
The scope of pharmacy practice includes more traditional roles such as compounding and dispensing medications, and it also includes more modern services related to patient care, including clinical services, reviewing medications for safety and efficacy, and providing drug information.
The vision of department is:
• To change the face of pharmacy through innovations that improve health.
• It is committed to ensure leadership in practice related education, clinical research and professional services in various health care settings.
The mission of the Department of Pharmacy Practice to prepare graduates to be competitive members of the profession, who can engage in range of clinical pharmacy and community pharmacy services within the health care system and provide advanced patient care. To advance the safe and effective use of medicines to improve health through excellence in patient care, education, research and public service.
AIM AND OBJECTIVES
• To provide an opportunity to students to acquire specialized knowledge and skills in pharmacy practice.
• To provide qualified and focused professionals in the subject of pharmacy to meet the needs of health care system.
• To teach different methods for exploration, investigation, organization formulation of data and its utilization in practical life, particularly in health field.
• To equip students with knowledge and skills for better planning and management of Hospital Pharmacy, Clinical Pharmacy, Community Pharmacy and Health Medicine.
• Pharmacy Practice-I (Pharmaceutical Mathematics and Biostatistics)
• Pharmacy Practice-II (Dispensing, Community, Social & Administrative Pharmacy)
• Pharmacy Practice-III (Computer and its Applications in Pharmacy)
• Pharmacy Practice-IV (Hospital Pharmacy)
• Pharmacy Practice-V (Clinical Pharmacy-I)
• Pharmacy Practice-VI (Clinical Pharmacy-II)
• Pharmacy Practice-VII (Forensic Pharmacy)
• Pharmacy Practice-VIII (Pharmaceutical Management and Marketing)
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT:
Dr. Naeem Mubarak,
PhD Pharmacy Practice.
RESEARCH VISION FOR POST-GRADUATE PHARMACY PRACTICE
To train our upcoming professionals in evidence-based research involving Clinical drug evaluation: Clinical Trials, Randomized Controlled Trial – (RCT) and its extension to meta-analysis or systematic reviews of several RCTs for documenting the efficacy of drugs; Adverse Drug Reaction research involving methodologies for collecting: Individual case reports of clinical suspicions of adverse drug reactions. Data mining: in adverse drug reaction research —– the search for structures and patterns in large adverse drug reaction databases, (manual inspection no longer being possible). Data mining involves the development, testing and implementation of computer methods, routine algorithms and tools for finding such associations and patterns of associations between drug intake and adverse events. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring: measurement of drug concentrations in blood or plasma – Laboratory Methods to perform TDM formulate a clinically relevant problem, design the study that will help to bring further understanding to this problem.
In Lahore Pharmacy College, the department of Pharmaceutics is a place where commitment to excellence is exercised through passion, creativity, collaboration and teamwork of faculty members. The students are also taught about dispensing of raw materials, preparation of drugs in various dosage forms, operating machines and equipment involved in manufacturing, quality control and quality assurance of pharmaceutical dosage forms. Awareness of CGMP’s during formulation, production and packaging.
Pharmaceutics is the discipline which comprises the art and science of preparing and dispensing medicines. Faculty in the department of Pharmaceutics, at Lahore Pharmacy College provides practical knowledge such as drug and disease state information, drug preparation, drug distribution, dosage monitoring services, formulation and development, research and development, production, quality control and assurance for safe and effective distribution of medicines.
Department of pharmaceutics strives to play leading role in Pharmaceutical technology and Industrial Pharmacy.
Department of pharmaceutics seeks to produce highly trained versatile experts in the field of pharmaceutics with learning, achievement and professional competency.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
• Training of students about the pre-formulation processing of various dosage forms and knowledge of latest technology.
• To produce skilled pharmacists for pharmaceutical industries, drug quality control organizations and drug research.
• Pharmaceutics-I (Physical Pharmacy)
• Pharmaceutics-II (Dosage Forms Science)
• Pharmaceutics-III (Pharmaceutical Microbiology & Immunology)
• Pharmaceutics-IV (Industrial Pharmacy)
• Pharmaceutics-V (Biopharmaceutics)
• Pharmaceutics-VI (Pharmaceutical Quality Management)
• Pharmaceutics-VII (Pharmaceutical Technology)
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Dr. Asad Majeed Khan,
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Lahore Pharmacy College is enthusiastic, vibrant and flourishing department with motivated teaching faculty with their diverse teaching capabilities. Staff of the department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry is entirely supporting and encouraging to the pharmacy students in learning various techniques such as drug synthesis, determination of its purity, comprehensive understanding of the chemical structure of the drug by various instrumental techniques.
As per the curriculum by the Pharmacy Council of Pakistan for the students of Doctor of Pharmacy five-year program, students are outfitted with proper handling of sophisticated instruments particularly in chromatography, spectroscopy, titrimetric analysis, polarography etc.
Pharmaceutical Chemistry is a branch of applied chemistry, which embraces Pharmaceutical Organic chemistry, Pharmaceutical Biochemistry, Instrumental chemistry and Medicinal chemistry. Five year’s instruction in various laboratories of the department of pharmaceutical chemistry, the students should be able to identify functional groups, molecular structures, and synthesis of compounds as well as develop biochemical actions of different drugs in the presence of various pathological conditions. Ultimately, there will be a lot of scope in different fields such as quality control labs, drug testing centers, hospital pathology laboratory and in research and development.
The prestigious Department of Pharmaceutical chemistry at Lahore Pharmacy College provides distinctive platform for multidisciplinary theoretical and practical knowledge perception. Incorporating passionate teaching and research environment for distinguished pharmacist of the future. The state-of-the-art laboratory facilities to pursue contemporary, innovative and challenging research converging the interest of pharmaceutical industry and international research collaborations in the field of Drug development and Quality assurance to enhance excellence of future prospects.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
Our aims and objective are to produce scholars in pharmacy with complete grip on concepts of pharmaceutical chemistry regarding practical and theoretical awareness, such as;
• Significant practical training, especially in volumetric and titrimetric techniques, instrumental techniques such as UV/Visible spectroscopy, chromatography, polarography and pH meter to identify, assay and estimate the purity of drugs and other pharmaceuticals.
• Extensive training in pharmaceutical analysis, including method development by spectrophotometer, FTIR, HPLC, etc.
• Industrial attachment that enables students to gain valuable experience and establish networking with the industry.
• Pharmaceutical Chemistry-I (Organic Chemistry)
• Pharmaceutical Chemistry-II (Biochemistry)
• Pharmaceutical Chemistry-III (Pharmaceutical Analysis)
• Pharmaceutical Chemistry-IV (Medicinal Chemistry)
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Dr. Khuram Ashfaq,
PhD Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
The department of Pharmacognosy at Lahore Pharmacy College is a unit that provides excellent academic environment. The faculty is well equipped with skills such as phytochemical analysis of plant extracts, isolation of natural product, preparation and development of herbal formulation/s.
Pharmacognosy is the study of the physical, chemical, biochemical and biological properties of drugs and drug substance. Pharmacognosy has broad scope in the field of pharmacy such as,
• Isolation or analysis of phytochemicals
• Structural activity relationship
• Natural products as model for synthesis of new drugs
• Drugs of direct therapeutic importance
• Biosynthetic pathways investigation
• Cultivation and collection of medicinal plants
• Preparations of herbal formulations
To be a dominant department in research and educating pharmacy students in the field of pharmacopoeial identification, quality evaluation, pharmacognostical and chemical analyses on various herbal drugs.
To establish link between academic and practical knowledge through an extensive knowledge with respect to the application of medicinal plants and its modernization.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
• To provide easy understanding of the concept to students such as chemical and therapeutic classification of drugs, isolation of plant constituents and identification of novel compounds in natural product.
• To create bridge between scholars and students for promoting research.
• Pharmacognosy-I (Basic)
• Pharmacognosy-II (Advanced)
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Dr. Saima Rubab,
Basic Medical Sciences
Basic Medical Sciences department at Lahore Pharmacy College is a dynamic and flourishing department having faculty members who possess diverse teaching and research skills.
As per the guidelines provided by the Pharmacy Council of Pakistan in the syllabus of Pharm-D program, undergraduate students are not only being equipped with proper animal handling skills, but also new experiments are being designed time to time to keep students up to date with modern research trends.
Students are encouraged to associate with faculty members in learning various Physiology & Pharmacological in vivo and in vitro research skills, such as, natural product drug discovery, standardization of anti-microbial assays, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, acute toxicity, and immunomodulatory assays.
Our vision is to be a leading department by cultivating and encouraging a learning environment where in depth knowledge of Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology & Therapeutics and Pathology could be gained and diverse research skills could be generated.
Our mission is to improve the education and knowledge of Basic medical sciences and inspire to develop highly skilled pharmacists trained with values and competences required to implement the knowledge of clinical Pharmacology in pharmaceutical industry, Hospital & overall healthcare system.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
The newly established department is charged with the responsibility of improving the quality and relevance of basic medical sciences education for pharmacy students.
• The department aims to ensure quality teaching & research training to our students at Lahore Pharmacy College.
• Our blended faculty creates a unique environment to perform cutting-edge collaborative and interdisciplinary research aimed at investigating fundamental biological questions and finding solutions to challenges in metabolic and cardiovascular as well as neurological and infectious diseases.
• The BMS faculty also teaches and provides curricular leadership to support the educational mission of the college.
• Anatomy & Histology
• Pharmacology & Therapeutics -I (Basic)
• Pharmacology & Therapeutics -II (Advanced)
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Dr. Hira Asif,
RESEARCH VISION FOR POST-GRADUATE PHARMACOLOGY:
For post-graduate Research Pharmacology, the following areas will be under consideration and over the time facilities will be developed in this regard.
This will include from Basics to Advance:
• Experimental Animals & their Methods of Handling.
• Experimental model development for Anti-inflammatory studies, Diuretic studies, Anti-diarrheal studies, Anti-diabetic studies etc.
• Isolated tissue Studies
• Bio availability studies
• Dose-Response Curves (to evaluate Potency & Efficacy of the drugs)
• Immunomodulatory studies (Immunotherapy, Immunomodulation’s, Immunoprophylaxis)
• Toxicological studies (which includes both environmental & clinical aspects of toxicological processes to evaluate the safety of potential drug)
• Molecular Pharmacology (Drug resistance & characterization of drug resistant genes & antibiotic reversal, anti-viral activity, Drug – Receptor Interaction & Gene expression, Characterization of drug resistant Proteins & Nucleic Acids.
Biochemical Techniques for Molecular Pharmacology:
• Separation, Purification and Characterization of drug resistant Proteins, Nucleic Acids and Phospholipids,
• Sequencing and Synthesis of Nucleic Acids and Peptides (biotechnologically advanced drugs)
• Study of Drugs Metabolism and relevant enzyme.
• Radioimmunoassay, Radio labelling, Fluorescent Spectroscopy and Immunodetection of drugs.
• Preparation and evaluation of biologics (vaccines, antimicrobial factors)
• Pharmacokinetic research: In vivo research is often combined with experimental studies in-vitro and in silico (computational medicine
– Direct use of computer simulation in the treatment or prevention of a disease)understanding the molecular mechanisms & also in designing genotyping or phenotyping tests to observe intra- and inter individual differences in pharmacokinetics & Pharmacodynamics, forecast drug response & to differentiate between genetic and non-genetic modifiers of the outcome of drug treatment.
• Neuropharmacology (which includes, Principles used in experimental neuropharmacology, Central & Peripheral Neurotransmission, Pain Models & Neurotoxicity) – to study effect of various analgesics on pain sensitivity, to study effect of drugs on spontaneous motor activity and evaluating their nature as CNS stimulants or depressants, Local anesthetic effect, Induction & recovery time for various volatile general anesthetics, to study anti-parkinsonian activity e.g. using Phenothiazine induced catatonia, to evaluate antiepileptic activity of a drug e.g. using chemical induced convulsion methods, to study effect of various tranquillizers and sedatives on motor coordination e.g. using Rota rod test in rodents, to study effect of drugs on depression e.g. using forced swim test, to study pharmacology of abused drugs e.g. study of Induction of Physical Dependence with opioids).
Admission Open 2022
Pharm-D, RCNS, & RCLS programs.
Lahore college of Physical Therapy outstands in fulfilling all the academic and clinical requirements of any Institute. Lahore College of Physical Therapy is the first institute to introduce Innovative system of departmentalization in physical therapy according to the specialized fields of physical therapy. The departments are categorized into:
Academic department is further divided into following departments:
- Department of Basic Physical Therapy Sciences
- Department of Musculoskeletal Sciences
- Department of Neurosciences
- Department of Applied Sciences
- Department of Community Health Sciences
Department of Basic Physical Therapy Sciences:
The department of Basic Physical Therapy Sciences is headed by Assistant Professor Dr. Tariq Muhammad Shafi. The subjects studied under this department are Kinesiology, Biomechanics, Ergonomics, Manual Muscle Testing, Therapeutic Exercises and Techniques. This department focuses on the basic academic medical and physical therapy sciences to prepare students for the clinical courses in advanced levels. It aims to inculcate basic skills in students regarding evaluation and assessment of patients. It prepares, educates and qualifies students for excellence in studying the clinical departments and makes them capable of evaluating and treating patients through an environment conducive to learning and creativity.
Department of Musculoskeletal Sciences:
The department of musculoskeletal sciences is headed by Assistant Professor, Dr. Nouman Tabassum. The subjects studied under this department are Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy, Differential Diagnosis, Manual Therapy and Sports Physical Therapy. This department of Musculoskeletal Sciences aims to impart evidence based evaluation, clinical reasoning and management skills in the areas of orthopedics, musculoskeletal dysfunction and sports physical therapy. It ensures that the students at Lahore college of Physical Therapy are instilled with maximum hands on training to help them achieve professional abilities to manage patients with musculoskeletal conditions.
Department of Neurosciences:
The department of Neurosciences is headed by Assistant Professor, Dr.Roohi Abbas. The subjects studied under this department are Neuromuscular Physical Therapy, Paediatric Physical Therapy, Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy, Geriatrics Physical Therapy, Orthotics and Prosthetics. The department of Neurosciences aims to instill skills of evaluation and a reasoning based problem solving approach in the management of neurological, cardiac and pulmonary conditions. The major focus of intervention is to decrease morbidity, hospital stay and quality of life. Interventions include educational strategies, rehabilitation and acute management. It ensures that students at Lahore college of Physical Therapy are facilitated maximally and are provided with a guide that can help them to get through the clinical practice.
Department of Applied Sciences:
The department of applied sciences is headed by Senior Lecturer, Dr. Mehwish Khalid. The subjects studied under this department are Electrotherapy, Medical Physics, Integumentary Physical Therapy and Gynecology Physical Therapy. This department aims to impart knowledge and hands on training to students regarding electro-physical modalities which are commonly used in the field of Physical Therapy for the treatment of patients. It ensures that the students at Lahore college of Physical Therapy are instilled with maximum hands on training to help them achieve professional abilities.
Department of Community Health Sciences:
The department of community health sciences is headed by Assistant Professor, Dr. Samreen Sadiq. The subjects studied under this department are Evidence Based Practice, Biostatistics, Professional Practice, Community Based Rehabilitation, Scientific Research and Methodology and Professional Skills. This department plays an important role in imparting professional development skills among students. It trains students in their last professional year how to conduct research and how to formulate a research report. Moreover this department also conducts different research activities, webinar, courses and faculty development program. It ensures that students at Lahore college of Physical Therapy are facilitated maximally and are provided with a guide that can help them to carry out researches and evidence based work.
Clinical department is further divided into following departments
- Department of Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy
- Department of Neuromuscular Physical Therapy
- Department of In Patient Rehabilitation (IPD)
- Department of Women Health
- Department of Pediatric Physical Therapy
- ICU/CCU Rehabilitation Unit
- Department of Orthotics & Prosthetic
Department of Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy:
The Department of Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy is led by Senior Physical Therapist, Dr. Mian Hassan. A musculoskeletal Physical Therapist designed rehab programs for people with impairments or disabilities due to disease, disorders, or injury to the muscles, tendons, ligaments, or bones.Some of the conditions that may benefit from musculoskeletal rehab may include: Overuse injuries such as, tendinitis, tendinopathy, bursitisand nerve entrapment like carpal tunnel syndrome. Traumatic injuries such as sprain, strain, fracture, joint dislocation. Surgical conditions such as joint replacement and amputation. Medical conditions such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and bone tumor.Other conditions such as back pain, neck pain, scoliosis etc. The goal of Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy is to help the person return to the highest level of function and independence possible, while improving the overall quality of life physically, emotionally, and socially.
Department of Neuromuscular Physical Therapy:
The Department of Neuromuscular Physical Therapy is headed by Senior Physical Therapist Dr. Babar Ikram. This department helps to treat and manage the symptoms of those dealing with nervous system damage to improve mobility and how a person functions in day-to-day life. Some conditions that can benefit from neurological physical therapy include: Spinal cord or brain injuries (central nervous system injuries), Stroke, Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease and Guillain-Barre syndrome. This department can also help patients with balance issues to prevent falls and other potential injuries. Patients of all ages can benefit from neurological physical therapy, from children dealing with central nervous system damage to senior citizens having trouble with balance due to nervous system disorders. The department aims to provide care to patients with neurological disorders both in indoor setting and OPD settings as per the needs of the patient. The aim makes the patient independent and pain-free.
Department of Women’s Health Physical Therapy
The aforementioned department is headed by Senior Physical Therapist Dr. AbidaWahab. Women Health Department is responsible for concerns addressing health issues surrounding pregnancy, birth, post-partum care, breastfeeding, menopause, prolapsed, loss of bladder or bowel control. This department helps to address pain, weakness, and dysfunction in the pelvic floor muscles and the symptoms often associated with it.
Department of Pediatrics Physical Therapy
The aforementioned department is headed by Senior Physical Therapist Dr. Abida Wahab. Our Pediatric Physical Therapist teams work with children and their families to assist each child in reaching their maximum potential to function independently and to promote active participation in home, school, and community environments. Our Physical Therapists have expertise in movement, motor development, and body function (e.g, strength and endurance). Some of the conditions that may benefit from Pediatric Physical Therapy may include cerebral palsy,spina bifida, muscular dystrophy, torticollis/ plagiocephaly,muscular weakness, hypotonia and gait abnormalities.We take into account all of the needs of the children that we treat, including adaptive equipment needs, with our equipment clinic.
Department of In Patient Rehabilitation:
The aforementioned department is headed bySenior Physical Therapist Dr. Mir Shakeel Ahmad. The department is responsible for helping patients prevent or manage acute or chronic orthopedic conditions such as arthritis and amputations, Post – surgical Rehabilitation and rehabilitation for orthopedic procedures majorly.
ICU/ CCU Rehabilitation Unit:
The ICU/CCU Rehabilitation Unit is headed by Senior Physical Therapist Dr. Samuel Rafaqat. This department rehabilitates intensive care patients with aims to early mobilize, to improve functional mobility, promote weaning from mechanical ventilation, and reduce hospital readmissions. Cardiac rehabilitation unit provides a comprehensive therapy combining prescribed exercise training, cardiac risk factor modification, and education on heart health that helps you recover, build confidence and get stronger after patient had surgery or medical treatment for a heart issue.This department aims to improve cardiovascular health of patient suffering from heart attack, heart failure, and angioplasty or heart surgery. It also helps patient to regain control of their health. The duties of a cardiac rehab specialist are to monitor patients for arrhythmias, support their efforts to exercise, and identify any risks in their treatment plan.
Department of Orthotics & Prosthetics:
The department of Orthotics & Prosthetics is headed by Dr. Mehmmod. This department design and develop specialized prosthetic and orthotic devices for patients. The members of this department evaluate, design, fabricate and adjust orthoses and prostheses according to patients need. The department provides the best quality of assistive devices, orthosis and even artificial limbs to ensure best potential outcome of the patients. Our Physical Therapist educates and trained the patients and prepares them to use their prosthetic and orthotic devices safely.
DepartmentsDPT degree is an extensive program that helps its students with the acquisition of knowledge, skills, and abilities to advance their professional practice. The qualification of DPT envisions a professional who is autonomous, observes evidence-based practice, can be accessed directly, and becomes a practitioner of choice in society. All of this is achieved with help of dynamic clinical departments that offer students comprehensive educational experience and a hands-on learning experience. This prepared them for rewarding professional careers. An all-inclusive approach to different learning mechanisms provides students with varying perspectives and serves them throughout their lives. Here are our most prominent clinical departments.
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Sports Medicine
Admission Open 2022
Pharm-D, RCNS, & RCLS programs.
As one of the most primer biotechnology offering universities in Pakistan, we understand the responsibility of training the young students to be excellent scientists. For our Biotech program, we ensure that we cover the extensive dimensions of applied biosciences and incorporate all essential subject areas. Biotechnology is a multidisciplinary science which uses information produced in the field of genetic engineering, tissue culture, stem cell, molecular biology, microbiology, natural chemistry, vaccinology, virology, and bioinformatics to address existing issues.
There are various parts of biotechnology which incorporates food biotechnology, wellbeing and clinical biotechnology, microbial biotechnology, agricultural biotechnology, & more. Hence, we have developed our faculty in individual departments to reach excellence in each of these extensions. These are our most prominent biotechnology departments.
- Department of Industrial Biotechnology
- Department of Agricultural
- Biotechnology Department of Healthcare Biotechnology
Admission Open 2022
Pharm-D, RCNS, & RCLS programs.
LMDC provides a comprehensive, engaging, and research-intensive dental program for its students. The focus on multiple aspects of the program ensures that major social, environmental, and economic challenges are faced by dental patients.
Here are some of the most significant departments at LMDC that offer comprehensive courses to our students and prepare them for a rewarding careers. LMDC leaders believe in providing the students with a hands-on learning experience that teaches the theory and how to apply it to dental problems faced by the patients.
By combining these approaches, we can train students to be more proactive, ask questions and learn to be problem solvers. All these abilities can serve them well in the future and in their careers as dental professionals. These are the most significant departments in the College of Dentistry at LMDC.
• Oral Biology & Tooth Morphology
• Community & Preventive Dentistry
• Science of Dental Materials
• Oral Pathology
• Oral Medicine & Oral Diagnosis
• Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
• Operative Dentistry
Admission Open 2022
Pharm-D, RCNS, & RCLS programs.